Happy Medjol Date Day!
I’m a little slow on the uptake, but I had planned to make these bacon wrapped dates today anyway so I thought I would share them before the days up.
Honestly, I will have to wait for my taste testers to tell you how they taste. I went to the dentist today because of some jaw pain I have from a cavity filled a week ago and I was instructed to only eat soft foods for the next week. Let me tell you, that is the worst news for a food blogger!
I’m preparing for a Tapas party, so most of my posts this month will feature dips, small bites and finger foods. These aren’t actually Medjol dates, but Organic Halaway dates from Bautista Family Organic Date Ranch. With 7 varieties available, you will marvel as you taste test and the dates melt in your mouth. I love these dates so much that I call the seller my “date guy” and I was sorely distressed last spring when they disappeared from my market (end of their selling season).
If you live in Los Angeles, Long Beach or Orange County, check out their Farmer’s Market page.
Ingredients (serves 16)
- 8 Slices Apple wood Smoked Bacon
- 16 Medjol or Halaway dates
- 16 Marona Almonds or Trader Joe’s Roasted & Salted Marcona Almonds with Rosemary
- 1/2 lb English Blue Stilton Cheese
- 16 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice dates to remove pits and discard. Add one Marcona almond and a chunk of cheese to each date.
- Slice bacon pieces in half.
- Wrap date with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is browned.