I visited friends in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and they made us Swiss Pancakes from their mother’s recipe book. There is just something about a typed out recipe with food stains all over that draws me in! 🙂 They were delicious and used my favorite ingredient combination: lemon juice and powered sugar. I’ve cooked them a few times at home and my favorite thing is how easy and forgiving they are. My friend modified the recipe on the spot and I took a quick glance at the typed out recipe and wallah I had “memorized” it.
I tried making them at home and used what I had on hand: whole wheat flour and almond milk. They turned out great and I realized that I could probably easily modify the recipe to make it gluten free as well as dairy free.
So, here’s to lazy Saturday mornings and pancake breakfasts!
- 1 Cup Almond Flour (or Almond Meal) sifted
- 1/2 cup plain Almond Milk
- 1/4 -1/3 cup natural cane sugar (depending on taste)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- powered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the almond flour and mix with the sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond milk and egg with a fork.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry until completely combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are browned and pulling away.
- Remove from the oven and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon over.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.