Who would of thought that Kale could taste so good? I made these for a friend and we couldn’t talk; we were “yumming” so much. Yum…I am craving them even now. Don’t get me wrong, I love Kale but what I love most is all the diverse uses. Chips, salad, soup, pesto, and in this case a bun.
I purchased chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s (non cooked) for July 4th but I didn’t get the chance to use them so I thought, “why not barbeque”? We haven’t used our barbeque yet this summer, so with all the barbeque residue from last year the grill was smelling amazing.
Though kale is often bitter, with the juicy chicken sausage, sweet mango-corn salsa and avocado, you really couldn’t tell that you were using kale for a bun. The amazing thing is the kale complemented the chicken sausage so much better than bread could any day! With food like this, I think I could consider going on a Paleo diet….well, except for the beer and wine of course.
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 3 large leaves of green kale
- 5 chicken sausages (not previously cooked)
- 1 small avocado, ripened
- 1 mango, ripened
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 ear of sweet corn, boiled and cooled
- 1/2 red onion, or 1/3 maui red onion
- 1 lime, ripe
- 1/2 tsp salt
Make the salsa:
- Combining in a medium size bowl:
- Slice the mango in quarters or smaller around the pit (the quarters should easily peel away from the pit) and very carefully remove the rough flesh (near the pit) with a pairing knife. Then flatten out the mango on your cutting board and slice off the skin. Dice into bite size pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and process in a food processor.
- Cut the corn off the cob and break into small pieces.
- Dice the red onion into small pieces.
- Combine the mango, corn, jalapeno, and red onion in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 the juice of a ripe lime and the salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Grille the chicken sausage until fully cooked.
Cut each leaf of Kale in half.
Slice the avocado.
Make the Kale Dogs:
- Lay a chicken sausage inside each half leaf of kale.
- Add mango salsa and sliced avocado.
- Serve with lime slices.
Goes great with tortilla chips. I didn’t say I wouldn’t splurge. 🙂