I am in love with balsamic glaze. It seems that it has suddenly blown up at restaurants all around; and why not? Doesn’t any dish sound more delectable when you say, “finished with a balsamic glaze” or “drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction?” I think it sounds like a hype, but I’m convinced every time I try it.
A version of this burger can be found at many a posh restaurant or gastropub, but choose your vise wisely. Remember when a quarter pound burger was the big thing? Well, many of these burgers are a half pound or more and can leave a rock in your stomach. I prefer grass fed beef because it seems to be lighter; but I am still feeling out the territory.
I made this burger with grass fed beef, high quality blue cheese, caramelized onions, and applewood smoke bacon infused with maple syrup. Make sure that the bacon and beef are at room temperature so that they cook evenly. Prepare the maple infused bacon about 20 minutes before beginning the burgers. Be careful not to overcook the beef since meat continues to cook after you remove it from the oven.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3/4 to 1 pound lean grass fed beef (or lean beef)
- 1/2 package applewood smoked bacon
- Maple syrup
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 4 ounces blue cheese, sliced
- prepared balsamic glaze
- butter lettuce or mixed greens
- High quality buns
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F and prepare the bacon. This will be messy so line your baking sheet with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked thru, turning and adding more maple syrup at 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the bacon in.
- In the meantime heat the olive oil in a metal pan over medium heat. Add the onions and turn to coat with oil. Sautee until tender; turning heat to low and cook the onions until caramelized. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Half the beef and prepare two patties, adding salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook the patties on medium high heat over a skillet, turning once.
- Add the blue cheese after flipping and allow it to melt.
- Brown your buns if desired and prepare the burgers with lettuce, patties/blue cheese, onions, bacon and finish with balsamic glaze.