Have you ever had such a hard week that all you want to do it fast forward (or rewind if that is your thing) to the weekend? On Monday it felt as if we packed so much work into the day that an entire week had gone by. So now that it’s Wednesday my mind feels like it’s a Friday night. I want to be a zombie and watch movies or go out and be crazy. My mind needs a release and being stuck in Wednesday isn’t helping!
Talking about the weekend…Last weekend I made the most amazing breakfast, a sweet and savory Manchego cheese french toast with maple infused Applewood smoked bacon that I am craving as we speak. I hung out at the apartment of my friend and inspired blogger Lauren, author of the talking kitchen. She has great lighting in her space and really cool props. Since a savory breakfast isn’t sufficient, I added toasted coconut and chocolate shavings on top.
You may be surprised by what you can do with coconut. Until last weekend I thought it was only good for yummy desserts and thai food. 🙂 No, that’s not entirely true but I did learn it’s great in homemade nut butters.
I think sourdough bread makes the best french toast because it brings out the savory aspect that we all crave and flock to diners on the weekend for. Ok, so I don’t flock to the diners but we have some amazing ones in town and I wish I woke up early enough to beat the crowds.
Isn’t it amazing; the things you wish you did on the weekend? Like…go to a farmer’s market, go yard sale-ing, or go to that popular diner. We never wish that we had cleaned the house or made time for our budget, at least I don’t. It is often the simple things of life that we crave the most.
Be sure to use real maple syrup. The bottles are so much cooler and you will feel so much healthier and sophisticated (but really, why would you want to ruin a breakfast like this with high fructose corn syrup?). Believe me, the bacon will thank you.
Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
- 2 slices sourdough bread (I used whole wheat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs half and half
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 Tbs of grape seed oil
- coconut flakes
- 1-2 ounces Manchego Cheese diced
- 2-5 ounces shaved dark chocolate
- maple infused Applewood smoked bacon
- maple syrup
- Prepare beforehand shaved dark chocolate, Manchego cheese, and bacon.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the eggs, half and half, and cinnamon. In a skillet, heat the oil on medium. Dip the bread into the eggs and coat both sides evenly. Place the bread in the pan and cook on both sides until brown.
- Meahwile in a toaster oven (much faster) heat the coconut flakes at 350 deg. F until browned.
- When the french toast is prepared, immediately apply the Manchego cheese and toasted coconut flakes. The cheese tastes best if if melts. Sprinkle on dark chocolate and enjoy with maple syrup.