As I continue to blog, I’m learning new things about food and expanding my palate so I decided to start a weekly post entitled “Did you know?” A few of my favorite blogs; the fauxMartha and joy the baker do this. I like the simplicity while learning (or being reminded of) something new.
So here’s my first.
Basil is the prime ingredient in Pesto.
Yes, that Basil plant that you bought from Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods or your local nursery can be turned into pesto with just a few ingredients!
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves (or more to taste)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (this makes the taste supreme!)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Combine ingredients in the order above in a food processor and blend until smooth or reaches desired texture. Add additional olive oil if needed.
Try with these yummy Multigrain Pita Bite Crackers from Trader Joe’s.
Aren’t you glad you’re taking good care of your basil plant?