I modified this recipe from a Top Chef cookbook and I love the combination of salty and sweet. I make french toast often, but I’ve never made Eggs in a Hole. This is a fun breakfast and is great to serve when you have company over.
Serves1 (can easily serve 2)
4 large eggs
A dash of cream
1 tsp sugar
A dash of salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 slices Wheat bread
1 tbs olive oil
4 thin slices prosciutto
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together 2 of the eggs, the cream, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Using a small glass or biscuit cutter, cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread.
2. Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture until covered.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Transfer the bread slices to the pan, being careful not to break the hole. Crack 1 egg into each hole in the bread slices.
4. Cook until the bread is well browned on the bottom (I made cooked both sides of the bread before adding the eggs. This resulted in the bread being very browned, but I like it that way). Gently turn the slices over and cook until the other side is well browned, or the egg is cooked to your liking. Transfer the bread to serving plates.
5. Cook the prosciutto in the pan until it starts to curl. The ham doesn’t require cooking, but heating it makes it taste great with hot food. Layer the ham on top of the bread slices and drizzle with heated syrup.