Have you made a recipe many times but never thought to write it down or print it out? Then when you’re excited to make it, you can’t find the recipe. Maybe it was passed down from your grandmother, gifted with tasty cookies at the holidays, or you simply stumbled upon it from a Google search. This happened to me today when I planned to make homemade granola bars.
I started making my own granola bars about a year ago. After sifting through many recipes online, I found one in which the ingredients were simple and natural:
- Peanut butter
- Old fashioned oats
- Dried fruit
- Chocolate chips
I’ve made these many times and my roommates love them. They’re are great for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack. Then today I could not find the recipe! Yes, I found many similar, but not the one I needed. So, I finally decided to gather all the ingredients and see if the recipe was ingrained in my psyche.
I found the blog GOODLIFE EATS, etc. a few months ago and it helped me understand the basic ingredients that can be mixed and matched to suit your taste. Katie Goodman describes the “5 Ingredients To Create Your Own Chewy Granola Bars” as
- Rolled Grains
- Nuts, Seeds, & Spices
- Sticky Sweetener
- Dried Fruits
After baking my granola bars, when the pressure was finally relieved, I found it! Of all the recipes and blogs I’ve seen this is the most helpful since you choose what goes into the bars.
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2/3 Cup Honey
- 1/3 Cup Apple Butter (optional)
- 2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Dried Fruit & Nuts (I used dried raspberries, cherries & black currants from Trader Joes’s)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Coat an 8×8 or 8×11 baking pan.
- Heat the peanut butter and honey in microwave safe dishes and combine in a large mixing bowl.
- If adding apple butter, heat in a microwave safe dish and mix with the peanut butter mixture.Add the rolled oats and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the dried fruit and nuts
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Press into the baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut when cooled. The bars will firm as they sit.